Sunday, March 7, 2010

Broadband speed test

How fast is your Internet?

1) Since 17 December 2009, I now have an upgraded fast Internet at work. It reads Local Area Connection Speed: 100Mbps.

2) So fast? Fast enough? Let's check the download/upload speeds with Broadband Speed Test.

3) Results:

4) What do the results mean?
  • My download speed is 59.8Mbps instead of 100Mbps
  • My upload speed is 1018 kbps or 10Mbps instead of 100Mbps
  • I'm getting only 59.8% of what I should get for download
  • I'm getting only 10% of what I should get for upload
  • My download is slow and missing ~40% of what it can be
  • My upload is very slow and missing 90% of what it can be
  • My download and upload speeds are not equivalent
  • My download speed is greater than my upload speed
5) Increasing/decreasing the bandwidth:
  • My network provider is supplying a reduced bandwidth 
  • My bandwidth is 60Mbps and not 100Mbps
  • The remaining 40Mbps is reserved
  • I need to apply for increased bandwidth
  • Skype is not allowed on campus but can be permitted for training
  • The bandwidth will be increased upon request for Skype training
6) Reality assignment:

If you have to upload a resource that is 300MB to a server, how long will it take you to upload? If you wish to download a resource that is 300MB from a server, how long will it take you to download? What file sizes can you upload in 5 minutes and download in 5 minutes? Assume the speeds in 3) above.

0 comments:

Post a Comment