Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Arkib Negara Malaysia

National Archives gets firm on records preservation

KUALA LUMPUR, Feb 17 — The National Archives of Malaysia (ANM) being the keeper of the national records seeks greater cooperation especially from public servants in preserving records that may have legal and historical significance in the future.



More from The Malaysian Insider - Feb 17: http://www.themalaysianinsider.com/index.php/malaysia/53435-national-archives-gets-firm-on-records-preservation

written by Prof Faridah Abdul Rashid, USM Kubang Kerian, Kelantan, February 17, 2010

I now have a researcher card/pass to do research at our National Archives in KL. I am writing on The Early Malay Doctors from 1870 to Merdeka. There is not much in our archive on this topic. What is more worrying is that most of the archived materials are still hardcopies when what we need for today's research should be in softcopies and readily available at the National Archives portal. There is still much that National Archives needs to do and can do. I will be more than happy to assist with the medical literature as I am currently working on that and should be free once my book is published. Maybe a Sabbatical Leave spent at National Archives will expedite efforts in converting from print base to digital archive. I really need the digital version as I live farthest from KL and can't be going there frequently or daily as I can if everything is online. It will be great once we can have the digital version. Malaysia Boleh!

written by Prof Faridah Abdul Rashid, USM Kubang Kerian, Kelantan, March 02, 2010
@National Heritage

TQ for your support. I have an idea...if National Archives is interested, I can help initiate a digital version...but only after my book is out next year. For now, I can gather people who are interested, and then get USM to move in for MoU and I take it from there. There is National Library of Medicine online and also British Museum online, so those two are good enough to study for a start. If it is text that we are after, then I would suggest to study that of PubMed and the big publishers (even Amazon.com has a good hosting mechanism). Whatever it is, we must think of safety, security & accessibility of Malaysia's digital resources. There is a good company that can make very good databases or we can initiate USM to create a good one that is unique. If the rakyat needs the digital resources, then I will e-mail my VC and see how USM can help National Archives.

0 comments:

Post a Comment