Thursday, November 4, 2021

Windows 7 Sound Not Working

I have an old mini laptop which my daughter would like to use for her work. 

  • Brand: Toshiba
  • Model: Toshiba NB520
  • OS: Windows 7 Ultimate, 32-bit
  • Processor: Intel, 1865 MHz
  • Total memory: 2048 MB

She had the HD replaced as the shop said it was corrupted. The HD was replaced for RM230. However, when she brought it home, the laptop had no sound. The laptop was physically in good condition.

Microsoft had stopped its support for Windows 7 since 2010. It offered other websites for help. I took a look at the laptop and tried a few things available on the Internet to get back the sound for this laptop. But none worked.

Here are some things I tried:

  1. DriveEasy - Windows 7
  2. DriverFix
  3. Downloaded sound driver zip file from Aorus
  4. Appuals - How to fix "Failed to play test tone"


Drive Easy offered many help which I followed but nothing worked: https://www.drivereasy.com/knowledge/fix-no-sound-windows-7/


I then tried DriverFix which had a scanning program and could tell me what drivers I needed to update. The DriverFix Scan Results showed most Drivers were updated except for a few:

  • 13 available Drivers to update
  • 72 Up-to-Date Drivers 

I tried Manual installation of the sound driver (by choice) but I didn't see the Auto setup.exe file in the unpacked file. So I had to search for something else that had the wizard for setup.


I then downloaded the sound driver from Aorus to try: https://www.aorus.com/motherboards/GA-H61M-S-rev-2x/Support

  • ZIP archive: mb_driver_audio_realtek_6.0.9088.1.zip 
  • (unpacked size: 815,635,326 bytes)
  • Realtek HD Audio Driver (Windows 7 32bit)
  • Version 6.0.9088.1
  • Size 308.01 MB
  • Date: 12 March 2021 

I tried and followed the installation instructions. Still the sound didn't work. When I tried the Speakers, the sound tests produced an error message: "Failed to play test tone".


I then followed the instructions at Appuals, which had clear step-by-step guide: https://appuals.com/how-to-fix-failed-to-play-test-tone-error-on-windows-7-8-and-10/

Still nothing worked.


DriverFix program that scans for updated and outdated drivers

Aorus website

The Sound Driver ZIP file is 308.01 MB 

Extract Here folder
(there is only one folder named Audio_9088)

My daughter then took back the laptop to the shop for more repairs.

0 comments:

Post a Comment